The Basics: Child support

April 11, 2019


Both parents have a continuing obligation to financially support their children even though the parents and their children will no longer be living together as a family.


Parents can agree on how they will do this in the changed circumstances. But if agreement cannot be reached, either parent can apply to Inland Revenue Child Support for what is called a Formula Assessment of child support.  This assessment works out how much one parent needs to pay the other having regard to their respective incomes, and the amount of nights the children are in their care.


Your likely Formula Assessment can be calculated by visiting the  website. The benefit of an annual Formula Assessment rather than an Agreement is its flexibility, as the needs of the children and the resources of their parents change over time. 


A Formula Assessment may not work in your circumstances, perhaps because even though the paying parent has plenty of money, a low taxable income is used in the formula.  There is an Administrative Review process to change a formula assessment in such situations. 


In some situations a Family Court Judge can decide how much child support is appropriate. 

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Care of children after separation

October 17, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Please reload

Follow Us
  • Google+ - Black Circle
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle

Level 1, The Exchange Building, 24 Blair Street | PO Box 19100 | Wellington 6011 | Tel: 04 499 6170

© 2018 Family Lawyers  •  All rights reserved

  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Google+ - White Circle