October 17, 2017

Clarity about separation can be important for a number of reasons including for the valuation of property and to obtain a dissolution of marriage.


To get a dissolution of your marriage you need to have lived apart for two years.


Neither a formal Separation Agreement or Order is necessary, but both can be useful tools in managing a complicated separation, particularly about the date from when you have agreed to live apart.


Separation Agreements

Having arrangements in writing can held later avoid misunderstandings about what you and your spouse/partner have agreed.


A Separation Agreement does not have to but can also provide for interim financial and care of children arrangements.


Separation Order

A Separation Order is a legal declaration that sets out the date of separation and can be useful where one party does not agree or refuses to acknowledge to the separation.


To obtain a Separation Order an application and evidence needs to be filed in the Family Court.


Contact us for assistance with pre-separation and separation agreements.

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

Care of children after separation

October 17, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Please reload

Follow Us
  • Google+ - Black Circle
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle

Level 1, The Exchange Building, 24 Blair Street | PO Box 19100 | Wellington 6011 | Tel: 04 499 6170

© 2018 Family Lawyers  •  All rights reserved

  • LinkedIn - White Circle
  • Google+ - White Circle